But I quickly realized that all of those things were floating around in my head unsettled. They were things I wanted to do, not be. So what do I want to be? Happy? Doesn't everyone? Besides, that seems like too small a thing, regardless of how elusive it is. Then it dawned on me (or maybe it was the Holy Spirit!): I want to be content.
And that is good, because for the Christian it is definitely achievable, according to the Bible, and for all practical purposes, it seems to have a far greater reach than happiness. Take the words of Paul:
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11-13 ESV)
I've heard it said that happiness depends on circumstances. The contentment described above is far more than circumstantial (let us recall that Paul was writing from a Roman prison...kinda gnarly). This contentment is akin to the joy described as the fruit of the Spirit. In other places, Paul writes:
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5 ESV)
But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. (1 Timothy 6:6-8 ESV)
For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:10 ESV)
So, yeah. I want to be content. I'm not talking about settling, or just becoming resigned to the way things are. I want to be truly and wholeheartedly content. So by the help of the Lord, I guess I'll start now.
No comments:
Post a Comment